Caenyr Land Owner

GSID: TheVoices_WoC
Gamespy ID: TheVoices_WoC

Character Name: Degarn Broadaxe

Race: Dwarf

Class: Barbarian

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Deity: Durin

Description: Tall for a Dwarf and with a lean muscular form, his hair is black and his eyes are deep green. His voice is rough and deep like most Dwarves, sounding almost like he’s suppressing a chuckle all the while and often bears a roguish grin.

When showing his torso, arms and legs are covered in tattoos, some clearly Dwarven in style whilst others appear to be more symbolic each clearly having some meaning even if you don’t understand them at first glance.

Bio:

Smoke curled from his lips as the Dwarf puffed out small rings of smoke towards the fireplace, ale in one hand and pipe in the other; he was quite relaxed. The high back chair was designed for a human, so the Dwarven figure was somewhat lost in its sheer size despite his muscular frame. On the surface he wore simple brown robes with a hood pulled low over his brow, it hovered barely above his eyes as he took a deep draw from his ale flask. His feet that sat upon a nearby footrest had boots upon them that were a mix of leather and armour plates, which combined with occasional odd angles in the way the robe lay against him hinted at the possibility there might be armour hidden beneath. This was further cemented by the tower shield and warhammer propped against the fire surround and the large greataxe propped against his chair, the butt of which was mere inches from his hand. Anyone experienced and skilled enough to notice would realise that despite his relaxed state, this Dwarf was no stranger to combat and was prepared to fight at a moment’s notice. Yet none of this was paid much attention by the man who approached and moved to take the seat on the opposite side of the large fireplace.

”May I join you?”, the Dwarf turned his head slightly as if noticing he man for the first time; though he had been watching him in peripheral vision since he stopped at the bar to make inquiries and was pointed in this direction.

”Aye lad, feel free.”, despite the form of address the human man was no lad; indeed he must have been in his mid forties if the Dwarf was any judge. The man dropped into the seat with a sigh, taking a sip from the tankard he had brought with him.

”You name is Thodred, the barkeep tells me?”, the Dwarf gave a nod of ascent as he took a deep draw from his pipe and released the smoke in jets from his nostrils before replying.

”Ye have me at a disadvantage.”, the man smiled in what Thodred presumed was supposed to be a friendly fashion but he could tell there was no genuine kindness behind it.

”My name is Rigil, I’m looking for one of your kinsmen, I’ve been informed know him and may be able to assist me.”, the Dwarf chuckled.

”Not all Dwarves know each other ye know lad. Still, who ye lookin’ for?”, Rigil took a sip of his tankard before replying. Thodred continued to alternate between drinking his ale and taking a draw from his pipe.

”A Dwarf by the name of Degarn Broadaxe.”, the Human was watching him like a hawk trying to see if there was any strong reaction to the name but Thodred remained completely relaxed as he sipped his ale.

”Ah that old git, yeah, I know him. Owes me some money I reckon too.”, Rigil seemed to relax slightly, apparently satisfied.

”I have something from my brother, that I had to deliver to Degarn personally, but I can’t seem to find him. He was apparently a moderately well known figure in some parts of Etaria once, but now nobody seems to know who he is or where he is.”

”Aye, Etaria will do that to ya. So thick with adventurers from sea ta sea that they can be well known for helpin’ fight off a demon invasion one minute then the next they’re names are all but forgotten. Afraid I can’t tell ya where he is, Degarn comes ta this inn from time ta time but that name ain’t graced this place in a long while.”, Thodred watched the human as he frowned. There was something familiar in that face to him, but he couldn’t place it.

”Can you tell me about him? If I know more about where he’s been and what he’s done, maybe it’ll help me find him. I can’t return to my brother until I find him.”, the Dwarf considered quietly a moment as he drained the last of his ale then shrugged.

”Sure lad, get me another ale an’ whilst I drink it I’ll tell ya the story, figure I know him about as much as anyone.”, the Human disappeared to fetch another ale whilst Thodred briefly adjusted himself beneath the robes and moved the position of his greataxe marginally. He was once again puffing away sedately on his pipe when Rigil returned.

”Cheers lad.”, he takes a draw from the tankard before continuing.

”So, Degarn Broadaxe of the Clan Shadowbane. It’s a long story an’ I don’t know every little detail, so forgive me if I abbreviate some bits of it. It starts of course, in mountains near the City of Tyran, far away from here. That’s where Clan Shadowbane had their mountain city ya see, a city carved from the rock beneath the mountains.”, he takes a moment to draw on his pipe before continuing.

”The city was well fortified an’ defended. Many humans, bandits an’ armies had tried to break it an’ take the riches they held there. But it is a bit tricky ta attack a city when three quarters of the cities walls are solid mountain rock. It’s all gone now of course. Was betrayal from within that finished them in the end.”, takes a sip of his ale.

”Someone betrayed them to the humans outside?”, Thodred shook his head.

”Nah it was demons. See there was this Wizard, maybe he was ta greedy, or wanted power. Who can say? Still he managed ta summon this powerful Demon Lord, one he couldn’t hope ta control. So instead, the demon controlled him an’ used him ta open up more an’ more gateways for his army. Demons swarmed through the city from the inside, slaughtering and destroying. Those Shadowbane Dwarves were a tough bunch, but ta suddenly have an entire army of demons inside ya city seemin’ly from nowhere. They were overwhelmed, but by Durin’s soggy bloomers did they put up a fight.”, he pauses to take a slow draw on the pipe and send smoke rings spiralling towards the fireplace.

”This is where Degarn enters ya see, he were a young Dwarf, not yet an adult but near the end of his combat trainin’ so was pressed inta service ta help fight. Ya see those crafty humans in the surroundin’ hills realised somethin’ was up. An’ what would have normally taken an army of tens of thousands, they did with less than a thousand, breeched the city gates an’ got inside. So the Shadowbanes were bein’ pressed from two sides. Beein’ strong, solid folk of Durin they realised that even if it cost them their entire clan, they had to kill the demons. Cause if an army of demons got a foothold there, in a fortress as strong as their city, can ya imagine? I reckon the whole of Tyrania would ‘ave ended up under threat.”, Thodred sighed and took a deep draw from the ale.

”Degarn were fightin’ mainly against the humans, buyin’ the more seasoned warriors time ta drive the demons back. But that demon lord weren’t gonna go without a fight an’ set up loads of magical... what ya call them, wards? So tha’ when he fled back through the portal there was a massive chain explosion, enough ta cause the entire city ta begin collapsing.”, Rigil nods, clearly lapping up every detail.

”The humans fled, most of the Dwarves were killed, few survived severely injured an’ were picked up by slavers who dropped like vultures on the wreckage of the once mighty Shadowbane Clan.”, pipe smoke curled over his features as the Dwarf paused to look into the fire.

”So he was taken into slavery?”, drawn from his thoughts by the question Thodred nodded.

”Aye lad an’ when he was recovered enough, tossed inta fightin’ pits ta fight for his life time an’ again. He felt Durin had abandoned his whole Clan an’ so turned, in his rage, ta Raekhan. Eventually as ya must realise, he earned his freedom, in blood. When he left them behind, he weren’t the Dwarf tha’ had been taken, full of anger an’ forged in conflict. Soon after he found himself in Chail-Anden, funny how that city picks up so many lost an’ confused, ain’t it?”, a brief pause followed in which the Dwarf took more ale and pipe.

”Once he was there he milled round for a while, much as most do. Then he joined that guild... what were they called... mercenaries, black an’ red armour?”

”The Black Hand?”, the Dwarf nodded.

”Ah aye, that was it. He was with them for a few years I think, was one of the rare few allowed ta leave alive cause of his loyal service. He left ta travel back to Tyrania an’ help a friend of his in the Order of Light, after that thin’s really began ta change. He fell in love, an’ between that an’ his friendships his rage began to calm an’ so he began ta drift from Raekhan. Then the god of rage betrayed him, can’t tell ya the details, only that it had somethin’ ta do with a deal between Raekhan and Arynaesis an’ something Degarn had done to anger the goddess. So when he fell inta the trap, Raekhan denied the Dwarf his god given powers an’ so Degarn barely escaped with his life.”, Rigil nodded as he took a sip of his own ale.

”Was when he was recoverin’ from that betrayal that he met Durin for the first time, even buried the hatchet enough ta become one of the Dwarf Lord’s Fists.”

”Didn’t he leave Chail not long after that though?”, Thodred took a sip of his ale whilst he contemplated the question.

”It was a about a year I think. But ya have ta remember livin’ the kind of life he did, with friends who lived the same kind of life, it’s inevitable that ya lose people. Eventually, most of his friends an’ loved ones dead, he left Chail, retirin’ from that life an’ leavin’ the slayin’ of Dragons, Demons an’ monsters to others that had the heart ta continue.”, silence hung there for a minute or two as the Dwarf finished his ale and continued to send gentle plumes of smoke drifting upwards.

”That has been most informative Thodred. Something tells me that making my delivery will be easier than I expected, he’s likely sitting somewhere relaxing and has been for years.”, the hint of a smile played on the man’s lips.

”What is it that ye wanted ta deliver ta him by the way?”, the Dwarves tone was still relaxed and friendly. Rigil watched the Dwarf intently, making definite glances to check the ale tankard was empty before he spoke.

”Death, that is what I will deliver to him. He killed my brother eighteen years ago and I will deliver him vengeance in the name of the One True God, Melivar.”, the Dwarf seemed to remain completely calm as he blew a stream of smoke gently towards the man.

”Awfully long time ta hold a grudge, besides, Degarn wouldn’ have killed ya brother without good cause. Suppose that why ya poisoned my ale, so I couldn’t let him know ya are comin’?”, at this Rigil looked slightly surprised but nodded.

”Finally figured that out did you Thodred? Bit late now, bit late for you at any rate.”, he grinned with wicked delight. But the grin was wiped from his face as the Dwarf began chuckling.

”I realised straight away lad, but ya have made two mistakes.”, a slightly manic look came across Rigil’s face as he tried to figure out what he’d done wrong but his face grew progressively more perplexed.

”Want me ta enlighten ye?”, the human nodded grudgingly.

”The first, is tha’ ya failed ta take inta account the fortitude of Dwarves. Didn’ want ta waste the ale just because of a little poison.”, the Dwarf continued gently drawing on his pipe as the human leant forward, his hand tightening its grip on the sword at his hip.

”And the second?!”, the Dwarf chuckled again. The movement was so quick that if you’d blinked you’d have missed it. Blood cascaded down the front of Rigil’s clothes, soaking the seat and the floor as the man’s head rolled across the flag stones. Buried in the chair where the head had once been was the Dwarves greataxe.

”My name isn’t Thodred.”, the Dwarf whispered to himself, picking up his pipe from where it had fallen and beginning to refill it from a pouch on his belt. Chaos of course had erupted in the inn, the barkeep charging over, stopping short before he slipped in the blood.

”By the Gods Degarn! I knew something was gonna happen when I saw that shifty looking bastage come in but couldn’t you have taken it outside? Or at least made less of a mess?”, Degarn chuckled as he took a draw from his newly lit pipe.

”I’ll pay for the cleanup ya old goat.”

”What will you do now? After you’ve paid for the damage I mean.”, the Dwarf shrugged as he got to his feet and reached to pull his axe from the chair.

”Not sure, revisit some old haunts maybe. Check he was tellin’ the truth an’ there ain’t more where he came from.”

Degarn Broadaxe
Here is the price of freedom:
Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood.
Paid, in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Degarn Broadaxe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm 
Caenyr Land Owner
Caenyr Land Owner

GSID: TheVoices_WoC
Degarn visits Durin's temple, but leaves it as lost as when he entered.

Degarn Broadaxe
Here is the price of freedom:
Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood.
Paid, in advance.

Offline Profile