GSID: Rasul40
Name of Main PC: Aradan
Gamespy ID: Aradan1
Character Name: Aradan
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: Jaerik

Well, there is a lesson is here to be learned; evidently one should not cast the spell Burning Hands while standing in an Alchemist’s shop, as the Gods only know what the beakers hissing and venting might contain. You would have thought that little tidbit would have been in the tome I learned the spell in as well, but no. Still and all, it was only a small explosion, and only destroyed a small corner of his business. I had expected thanks when he had mentioned that he could not generate a sufficient flame beneath his retorts and I freely tried to help him, but no. Some people have no gratitude for the goodwill of others.

But I am thankful that the charges he brought against me in the assizes were dropped, as he could not prove that it was my flame that lit the blaze, and not his own. As it turns out, he was fined for not conducting his business in a safer place than in town, considering the hazard he placed the shop next door in, what with the explosion and all…small though it was, I have to say. Why, I could hear only a couple of hours later; I still don’t see what all the fuss is about.

But I learned a lesson as I said, and another as well. This town has become a bit cramped for one of my ability; I need wider venues, a broader canvas to paint my strokes on, so to speak. And so I bid the folks here farewell. They were good enough to me in their way, foundling that I was. It could have been worse, I could have been tossed on the midden heap and be done with. But they fed and clothed me, and even when I showed some aptitude, sent me to be an apprentice at the Wizard here in town. Apprenticed they called it, slave labor more like, but still I was able to glean a bit from the old man before he died. But dead he is, and there is so much more to learn, and I think I have reached the limits that this town places on me. May the Watcher guide my steps; I have a feeling I'm going to need it...for I will settle for nothing less than greatness, and the Gods help those who get in the way.

But for now, life beckons…and who am I to ignore that call?

Last edited by Aradan on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aradan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:54 pm 
Caenyr Newcomer
Caenyr Newcomer

GSID: Rasul40
Name of Main PC: Aradan
Gamespy ID: Rasul40
Character Name: Aradan
Race: Human
Class: Mystic Theurge
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: Jaerik

The rain softly falls, but it troubles the man not. Absentmindedly he reads from the book, the pages dry, sheltered as the man is sheltered by a bubble of energy, keeping the rain at bay. The horse plods on, mournful. Every so often it blows air dejectedly through its nostrils, the only sign it can give the man that the burden is a bit more than the horse would like to carry, especially given the distance.

"A History of the Kings and Queens of Chail" is the book's title. The man, wearing a faded red and silver cloak thrown about his shoulders, knows it well, but like all good tomes, is turned to again from time to time. He used to ride with the Kings Royal Lancers long before, the reason for his leaving the service is a matter of history. But for long now after his leave-taking, he has ridden the north, making his home oddly enough in Home. The Halflings there eyed him askance, but troubled him not, for he was useful even to that pastoral people. "A Magic-user" they would say in whispers, but smile all the same on the rare times he would venture out from his small abode, an armful of books, either coming or going. He chose that location due to two things; its peace and quiet (perfect for study), and its proximity to the Temple of the Watcher (whose faith he professes).

For thirty years he has been away, studying all manner of things, for the whole of knowledge he takes as his realm. Natural and magical, no field has escaped his eye. But with the years' passing there is one thing that he has not been able to study, that being the nature of the power of the Divine...until now. Like all others, he has heard the call of the Gods, and now knows that available to the children of Jaerik is the blending of the two branches of magic, finally within his grasp...and so his ride south.

Sealing the house in both a mundane and an arcane manner, he packed his precious library on two mules, and mounted himself upon his horse, a mixture of relief and resignation in the faces of the inhabitants of the village he has called home these many years. He turned the beasts south, and rode past lands that he once knew so very well. For he was returning to Chail-Anden, though not as a protector; no, those days were behind him, and best left to the young. In his journey he makes first for the Temple of the Watcher, offering his knowledge to the altar of Jaerik, and once again seeking...for his days as a simple Wizard are behind him, and the days of a Mystic Theurge ahead, beckoning with their promise of hope, that there is still more in this world yet to learn.

Offline Profile