Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 am 
Caenyr Newcomer
Caenyr Newcomer

GSID: VeryHungryCaterpillar
Name of Main PC: Mas'hadra
The Lokturi - Jungle elves of Valasia

From the dictionary of Elorin Da'trave, Chronicler of Jaerik.
The human inhabitants of the tropical island of Valasia are well-known throughout the world, due to their flourishing trade. On the same island dwell some tribes that are more elusive. One of them is the Lokturi, a peculiar group of elves that makes its home in the depths of the Valasian jungle. The mere mention of that name in the presence of the Valasian plainsdwellers leads to the uttering of prayers. To them, the image the word conjures is that of green or yellow eyes that glow in the dark, and poisoned arrows that never miss their mark.

The Valasians told me all they know about this strange tribe, and the more I learned, the more I knew I wanted to meet them. Being of elven blood myself, they might not try to kill me on sight. And even if they did try, I trusted my survival instincts enough to take the risk. Carrying supplies for a week, I ventured into the jungle to search for my elusive distant kin.

For four long, maddening days, I looked for tracks of the Lokturi. In the end, it was them that found me. Exhausted, I had sat down to eat and get some careful sleep, when all of a sudden I heard a faint rustle in the bushes behind me. When I looked back, I found a nocked arrow pointed at my eye, and at least a dozen more threatening me from all directions. "I come in peace!" I said, speaking elven for it was said the Lokturi did not master the common tongue. They commanded me to stand, bound me hand and foot, blindfolded me and took me to their village.

If anyone asks me to go back to that place, I swear I do not know the way. Their jungle is so intricate and dense that it would take a lifetime of experience to navigate it. Their hometown is a wonderously organic place, wicker cages hanging in trees to sleep in, cookfires and altars littering the ground. They are a superstitious people, surrounding all their actions with rituals. When they undid my blindfold, I was in one of those wicker cages, its door securely shut.

For a moment, I feared that they might be planning to eat me. The ground below me was littered with bones, and some of them were easily big enough to be humanoid. But a heavily tattooed female came to release me from the cage, and took me to a campfire where a collection of elder Lokturi was gathered. They dress strangely, wearing little in the way of clothing but much in the way of totems, bones and other trinkets. "Who are you," asked the female who had freed me. Her accent was thick yet melodious, I struggled to understand her words. We spoke at length, and I think I conveyed the purpose of my visit well.

They allowed me to stay for three days, and in those days I learned very much about this strange people. At the same time, I know I didn't even come close to understanding the intricacies of their society. On the third day, the woman, whom I learned was a shamaness, visited me just before I went to sleep. "Farewell," she said. Although her tone frightened me, I fell asleep easily. When I woke again, I could see the plains in the distance, and I knew I would never see the Lokturi village again.

The Valasian humans couldn't believe it when they saw me again. I had spoken to the Lokturi, and lived! My adventure was well worth the danger, considering what I have learned. I will commit my knowledge of the Lokturi to parchment, and see to it that it is distributed to all who wish to learn such things.

End of the excerpt.

In libraries throughout Etaria, the following text can be found to be studied:

The Lokturi of Valasia
Deep within the jungles of Valasia lives the Lokturi tribe. The word Lokturi means 'free children', roughly translated. Descendants of regular elves, they are nonetheless quite different from any elves you have met before. Their ferocious nature combined with the harsh world they live in has made them a remorseless and dangerous people. Despite that, they have several customs and rituals that are quite noteworthy.

Appearance
The Lokturi are fair-haired and fair-skinned, although their continuous exposure to sunlight darkens their skin to a deep tan. They have green, amber or yellow eyes that are almond shaped and slightly tilted. The Lokturi are smaller than regular elves, the females rarely taller than 5 feet, the men half a foot taller than that. Their skin is often adored with tattoos, which they create by burning pigment into the skin with bone needles. The tattoos are geometrical patterns rather than actual pictures. Their attire is simple, made of leather and woven leaves, covering only their most intimate parts. In addition, they wear tokens of their experience, be it bones or feathers, skulls or claws. The older a Lokturi is, the more of these items will he carry.

Disposition
In Valasia, the Lokturi are renowned for their bloodthirst and ferocity. While this rumour is not unfounded, there are some subtleties that should be taken into account. Indeed, combat takes a very prominent position in Lokturi life. Different tribes will fight each other if they meet, until one of them flees or surrenders. They see no shame in fleeing to preserve one's life, nor in submitting. In fact, a Lokturi who surrenders after fighting well is often accepted into the victorious tribe. Their ways of battle are varied, their warriors preferring spears and clubs while their shamans use sorcerous and druidic magic. Both use bows with poison arrows and poisoned darts, the jungle frogs being the source of that poison. Men and women fight alike, although men tend to follow a martial path more often, while most shamans are women. Their reasons for fighting are varied as well, ranging from defending one's home to expanding one's lands to simply the sport of it.
((The vast majority of the Lokturi has a TN or CN alignment. Good and Evil are rare, Lawful is unheard of.))

Rituals and religion
Superstitions take an important place in Lokturi life. The shamans read omens in dreams and intestines - be they animal, human or elf. I believe this to be the origin of the tale of the cannibalistic nature of the Lokturi, indeed, it is not unheard of that a shaman tastes the blood of a scrying specimen. Omens determine the course of action for the day - whether to fight, to wait, to feast or to hunt. Unions between a male and a female Lokturi are celebrated with a large feast as well, although I have been unable to discern the exact nature of that feast. It seems that promiscuity is nothing out of the ordinary for a Lokturi. Of course, this sometimes leads to battle, when one Lokturi disapproves of his mate's choice of partner. Still, they raise their children lovingly, teaching them the ways of the spirits and of combat, and allowing them their own choice of future - guided by the omens, of course.
I have tried hard to find out which gods the Lokturi draw their magic from, and I have come to the conclusion that the spirits they serve are in fact manifestations of three of the known Gods: Raekhan, for battle and bloodlust, then Draxil for magic and fire, and Ath'endal'lynn for growth and survival. The Lokturi serve all three of them equally, although warriors tend to favour Raekhan and shamans tend to choose Draxil or Ath'endal'lynn.
((Must serve Raekhan, Draxil or Ath'endal'lynn, and respect the other two))

Specializations
Warriors and hunters are the most well known vocations for Lokturi, because those from outside will meet with them most often. Inside their society, shamans take a very important place. Among the warriors, those who can enter a battle trance are venerated. Among shamans, the ability to call fire is greatly valued. I have seen no signs of a written language among them, so it is unlikely they have any conventional wizards. They do have a rich culture of storytelling, the only way to stay in touch with their history.
((Warriors: Barbarian and Ranger are common classes, Fighter and Rogue are also acceptable. No monks or paladins.
Shamans: Druid, Sorcerer and Bard are common classes, Cleric is rare. There are no Lokturi Wizards.))

Language
The Lokturi speak an archaic and altered form of elven, making it hard to communicate with them. Despite their simple way of life, though, they are far from simple. I believe a Lokturi would have no trouble learning proper elven, or even the common tongue, if they set their mind to it. The true difficulty in assimilating would be in dealing with the bonds of law that our cultures impose.

Encountering a Lokturi
It is very unlikely that you would encounter a Lokturi outside Valasia. Only very rarely are they exiled from their people, and the jungle offers enough challenges and mysteries to fill a lifetime with. If you do meet one, they have likely been enslaved by a courageous group of Valasian slavers. For a reason unknown to me, Lokturi slaves will never return to their homeland, even if freed. I have asked questions about it to several former Lokturi slaves, and their reactions ranged from silence to open fury.
((The only thing that truly brings shame to a Lokturi is being enslaved. They do not keep slaves themselves, giving enemies who are unwilling to submit a quick death instead. If a Lokturi has been brought to heel and has served someone, they would not know how to explain it to their people - so they prefer exile.))

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:12 am 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

GSID: Waterjules
Name of Main PC: Laurel Dy'ness
Elvish Literature including the Itheril:

The Ancient Elvish City of Elor’iniora
History of the Aquatic Elves
The Akari
The Eldarii and the Lands of Atat’Andor
The Elven House of Celebniraeth
Sky Elves and the Lost Kingdom of Enia
The Faee (elven subrace)
Rise and Fall of the Itheril house Vlos'dalhar
Formation and History of House Vel’raj
The Gladomin Family of Talanon
A History of House Zau’und
House Belithral, Elven Vampyres
Itheril: The Dark Elves of Caenyr & The Betherak
The Itheril House Ju’on
Itheril-Keeper Wars
Ksherea(Swamp Elves)
Lith’nórë – Ash’s Kingdom
Lith'edhel Legends
The Lokturi - Jungle Elves of Valasia
Moon Elves
Mountain Elves
A Nashai Primer (Playable Race Guide)
The Nashai Tribe - The Dragon-Kin Elves
Of the Emerald Wood vale, Eliath Alesse and the Elven Houses
Orbben Dumoas – the Forgotten City
The Sacred Cloak of Zenegral
The Shadow Elves- The Forgotten Children Exiles of Har'Oloth
The Sinar
Syrenae -The Underwater City
Telthen’Ar, the Half Hearts
Tol'eska, Elven city-state of Zenegral
Vhestij
Vorlgard

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]